Skip to main content

Green cards provide important protections to foreign nationals who are living and working in the U.S. It is very important to make sure your green card is current/not expired at all times to ensure you have the full protections provided by the card.

If your current green card does not have an expiration date it is an old version of the card and must be replaced! These older versions of green cards will not be honored by immigration officials and can put you at risk of deportation or travel limitations.

Two-Year Cards Vs. Ten-Year Cards

Green cards are issued for 2 years or for 10 years.

  • 2 Year Green Cards. Two-year green cards are issued based on marriage to a U.S. citizen. Two-year cards must be renewed 90 days before the expiration date. When filing for renewal, you will need to prove that the marriage is current and valid and must file Form I-751, not I-90. Once approved by Immigration, the two-year restriction will be removed and you will be awarded a 10-year green card.
  • 10 Year Green Cards. Ten-year green cards must be renewed 6 months prior to the expiration date. A 10-year green card expiration only means that the CARD is expiring, NOT your status as a legal permanent resident. In order to renew your 10-year green card, you’ll need to file Form I-90. This form can also be used to replace a lost green card. Additional eligibility requirements can be found here.

Important Points to Remember

  • A green card provides evidence of your status as a legal U.S. resident.
  • Green card expirations mean the card is expiring and must be renewed. Your status does not expire and remains safe.
  • If you lose your green card or if it is stolen, you can file Form I-90 to have it replaced.
  • File your renewal forms 6 months before the card expiration date.
  • Not having a valid green card puts you at risk of deportation or travel limitations.

Orlando Immigration Attorney Gail Seeram Is Here To Help You

If you have any questions or concerns about a two-year green card, a ten-year green card, an expiring green card, or your immigration status, contact Orlando immigration attorney Gail Seeram for help. Gail is experienced in all areas of U.S. immigration law and can help you file paperwork, answer your questions, or represent you to USCIS.

We offer free in-office consultations as well as free phone consultations. Text or call 407-292-7730 to speak with our immigration attorney today.