Immigrating to the United States isn’t easy. Hiring an immigration attorney to help you is the best way to make sure you’ve followed all of the requirements and positioned yourself for a successful application process.
But hiring an immigration attorney is filled with its’ own challenges. How do you know if you’re hiring the right attorney? The tips below will help you make a decision and hire the best immigration lawyer possible.
5 Signs You’ve Found The Best Immigration Lawyer
- They’ve Been Referred by Someone You Trust. The best immigration lawyer for your situation may be one that has helped one of your friends or family members with their immigration situation. You will be able to get an honest and unbiased report about the attorney from your friend and you’ll know the exact outcome of the situation. At the very least, referrals are a good place to start your search even if you don’t end up using the same attorney.
- They are 100% Devoted to Immigration Law. There are many, many areas of law in which an attorney can specialize. For the best results, you want an attorney that devotes 100% of his/her practice to immigration law. This helps ensure that the attorney will have the background, knowledge, and resources necessary to handle even the most complex of immigration cases. You can check their credentials with the State Bar Association and the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).
- They Have Experience With Your Type of Case. Equally as important as being devoted to immigration law is having experience with your specific immigration issue. The most experience they have with your issue, the better. Some immigration attorneys specialize only in certain areas of immigration law. Others handle many areas of the law. You want to hire an Orlando immigration attorney that has experience with your particular need.
- They Will be Accessible to You. The last thing you want is to hire an attorney to handle your immigration case and then be kept in the dark about the progress of your case. Hire an attorney that will be accessible to you, whether that is phone, email, or face-to-face meetings. This can be hard to judge, but you could pay attention to how the receptionist or office staff treat you and/or other clients (Are they rude? Do they express an interest in talking to you?) or how quickly your initial phone call or email is returned. Be sure to ask about accessibility including how and how often you will hear from the attorney.
- They Make You Feel Comfortable. You will be trusting your attorney with some very private information at a very stressful time in your life. You must feel comfortable speaking to them honestly and you must trust that they are acting in your best interests. Does he/she listen to you? Explain things in ways you understand? Show empathy for your situation? It’s okay to trust your gut if it’s telling you that this is not the right attorney for you.
Contact our Orlando Immigration Attorney for Advice and Representation
Hiring an immigration attorney does not have to be intimidating or confusing. All it takes is a little bit of time and research to find out as much as you can about the attorney before you sign any contracts.
Orlando immigration attorney, Gail Seeram, handles all types of immigration cases from asylum and work visas to green cards and deportation issues. Contact the Law Offices of Gail Seeram 1 (407) 292-7730 for a free initial consultation.