In this day and age of heightened concerns about illegal immigration and the aggressive measures taken by U.S. Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) even fully legal U.S. citizens worry that their citizenship will be questioned by immigration or law enforcement officials.
Our Orlando immigration law office has fielded plenty of questions from concerned citizens who want to know how they can prove their citizenship if they are questioned.
One way to do so is to carry your U.S. Passport Book with you at all times, but the book is cumbersome and not something that can be easily toted around. A second, more practical option is to obtain a U.S. Passport Card.
Passport Cards are Portable and Convenient
A U.S. Passport Card is a small, credit card sized proof of U.S. Citizenship. The size of the card makes it convenient to carry with you at all times and it can be used at any land or port entry. They are commonly used by citizens who frequently cross the borders into Canada or Mexico, but any U.S. citizen can apply for the Card.
Facts About the Passport Card
- The Passport Card is a fully valid passport. It provides proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity.
- They are available using the same form as the U.S. Passport Book; Form DS-11 for first-time applicants. If you have a Passport Book already you can mail in your request for a Card using Form DS-82.
- You do not need to have a U.S. Passport in order to obtain a Passport Card.
- They are less expensive than a Passport Book costing only $65 for first-time applicants as opposed to the first-time fee of $145 for Passport Books.
- They are used to enter the U.S. at land crossings or ports of entry from: Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and Bermuda.
- Passport Cards cannot be used for international air travel.
- Passport Cards are RealID Compliant.
Contact The Immigration Law Offices of Gail Seeram For Help Obtaining A Passport
The Passport Card is a convenient way to always have proof of your U.S. citizenship on hand. It fits easily into a wallet and can provide you with peace of mind if you are concerned about your citizenship being questioned.
If you would like to obtain a Passport Book or a Passport Card, contact Orlando Best Lawyer Gail Seeram for help. We have been practicing law for over 20 years and would be happy to help you obtain proof of your U.S. citizenship using whichever document is best suited for your situation.